1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

[ROM][AOSP](06/21/14) Shiny ROM: OTA-Like, Stock Android [4.4.4] [KTU84P] (For Grouper)

• Please log in to reply

OP ginganinja

ginganinja

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:14 PM #1

Shiny ROM: Android 4.4.4, KTU84P for Nexus 7 (2012) (Grouper)
Overview
This ROM is Android KitKat 4.4.4, build KTU84P. The ROM is built directly from source, that is, the Android source code published by Google available for download to all of us developers. The reason I say the ROM is "OTA-like" is because I make VERY few modifications to it, aside from the things that it takes to get the ROM working. I'll go into detail about those things below, but basically I just want the ROM to make your tablet feel stable and shiny and new as if it has just received a new OTA update. That being said, it's clear that the landscape of Nexus devices is changing as new ones are released. Therefore, the other primary goal of this ROM is to keep our Nexus 7 as close to the modern Nexus design as possible. This means that I will also add in features that will still be stock, but will also make our tablets as close to a current Nexus as possible.

As for how I handle the forum side of things, I'm always open to comments, questions, suggestions, requests, etc. I know that most of those things will often be in the form of criticism, but it's okay, I think I can handle it :) That being said, I do also have a life and am a college student, so I may not get to come on here ALL the time. I will check back as frequently as possible, and I'm hoping that you guys will help each other out as much as possible! Keep it friendly! :) So now for the details...

Features

• Stock Android 4.4.4, build KTU84P
  • Source (AOSP) built kernel (boot.img)
  • Google experience launcher
  • Easily rootable
  • G-Apps (GMail, Play Store, etc.) included in build along with Nexus apps
  • Stock browser replaced with Google Chrome
  • Shiny restart options - access them by holding down the power button and then long pressing on "Power Off"
  • All the crazy Google proprietary app stuff has been taken care off
  • Updated frequently
  • Everything works!

So what do I mean when I say "Everything works!"?
I'm sure by now you all know that when someone says that, it usually ends up not being true. This ROM is not an exception to that rule, but I can say that I've tested most of the things that would be expected to work in stock Android, such as...

• Bluetooth streaming
  • Google account sign-in and auto-restore of apps and settings
  • Google Wallet
  • Location Services (pretty fast GPS lock in my area also)
  • Believe it or not, December is still a month!
  • Android beam
  • Photo editing with the new filters
  • Email
  • Exchange support
  • More things that aren't important enough to mention here - check out the changelog for a more comprehensive list

Possible Bugs
It's impossible for me to test for and notice EVERY single possible bug in the operating system, so as of right now I can't say that there are any, although I'm sure you will find some. If you do, report them here!

Other IMPORTANT Information
Root
But wait, nothing in this post said anything about root!!!11!!1!1!!! That's right, my ROM does NOT have root built in! (I don't use any root apps, and it's important to the whole "OTA-like" theme). That being said, the ROM is easily rootable; I made sure of this because I know that many, many of you will use root for many useful purposes. If you want to root the ROM, it's as easy as installing Chainfire's new superuser control app/su with this ZIP file. More detailed information can be found in the "Installation Instructions" section. **NOTE** If you are rooted and upgrading to a new build, you should not have to reflash the rooting flashable ZIP because the ROM will keep root for you.

Updates
I'm probably going to update the ROM itself once every few days (at least once a week) because there are constantly updates being pushed to the Android source. I probably won't make many changes myself except with updating binaries or fixing bugs. Because of this, I'm not going to keep an extensive changelog. You can always check out the AOSP code review for recent changes to the source. I'll only a keep a changelog of big, notable, and important changes. Everything else will be low-level optimizations that will make the experience much smoother without you even knowing :)

Some Other Not-so-important Information
Naming Conventions
The filename for all builds will begin with the prefix ShinyROM_grouper_aosp. That prefix is always followed by the date in mmddyy format (e.g. 112212), a hyphen ("-"), and the time in 24-hour, hhmmss format (e.g. 153945). Finally, all builds end with the "signed" suffix - it just helps me know which packages have finished building and which have not. Hopefully this helps everyone to know which update is newest; I stay away from version numbers because I let Google do all of the version control.

Source
In keeping with the spirit of open-source, all relevant Shiny ROM code can be viewed on Github. I'm not extremely experienced with Github, so bear with me as I learn! Thank you!

File Hosting
I've switched over from using Dev-host to a privately hosted site, graciously and generously given to me by RootzWiki user Goofball. Dev-host is still an amazing service, but it's much more convenient for me to use a privately hosted site, plus I get my own suburl and FTP access! HUGE thanks to Goofball, please check out his RootzWiki profile here! The private hosting will definitely help me deliver a better experience to you guys as far as downloading goes. You can view all of my uploaded, public files here: http://shinyrom.goofball.org/

Also, if anyone ever wants to mirror for me, please feel free so long as you keep the file name and the file itself intact. As for everyone who downloads from a posted mirror: BE CAREFUL! Always use a virus scanner and be careful with what you are putting on your device!

Installation Instructions (VERY IMPORTANT - Note: You can flash all of these ZIPs in CWM or TWRP*)

*Android 4.4 KitKat builds must be installed using the latest version of your preferred recovery!
ROM
1. Download the latest version of the ROM from the download post. (Also download any other files you will need to install, such as Chainfire's Superuser Root ZIP, etc.)
2. Put the file(s) you downloaded in step 1 on your tablet's internal storage (sdcard).
3. Turn off your tablet.
4. Boot into the bootloader of the tablet by holding down both volume buttons and the power button simultaneously until you see a large arrow that says "Start".
5. Use the volume keys to change the arrow until it says "Recovery," then press the power button to boot into recovery.
6. Because of differences in recovery types, I will make the following steps rather generic.
7. Wipe cache.
8. Wipe dalvik cache.
9. If you want to be 100% sure there are no problems, wipe data. If you are coming from another ROM or Android version, wipe data. If you do not wipe data and something goes wrong, repeat this process but wipe data - this step is not necessary if you are simply upgrading.
10. Flash the ROM (ShinyROM_grouper_aosp...signed.zip)
11. If you are rooting, flash Chainfire's SuperSU ZIP file - this step is not necessary if you were rooted on the previous build and are simply upgrading.
12. Reboot your tablet, and enjoy!

**Note: If you are simply upgrading to a new version of the ROM and want to keep root, follow the exact instructions above, and do not format /system. It really is not necessary to format /system at any time (unless specifically noted), as the ROM installer has this function built in.

Edited by ginganinja, 22 June 2014 - 06:21 AM.

• 5 Likes

OP ginganinja

ginganinja

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:15 PM #2

ROM Download & Changelog

icon_9_archive_list.pngShinyROM_grouper_aosp_062114-114016-signed.zip

md5: 1440addfe8fa70eeefd1e2d5aa995536

Fixes/Changes Included So Far

• 5/15/14 Changes
  • Added Bluetooth 4.0 LE support
  • 6/4/14 Changes
  • Update to Android 4.4.3, KTU84M!
  • New Gapps
  • 6/21/14 Changes
  • Includes some SSL security fixes

Universal Mods & Downloads

These mods have been compiled by myself, sometimes in conjunction with the modders above, to always work with any version of my ROM. Therefore, you don't have to worry so much about these being up to date because they should always work. If that is ever not the case, simply PM me and we'll get it fixed  :) This section also includes some other Nexus 7 related downloads.  

Universal Mods

AOSP Web Browser (for Android 4.4) - Installs the AOSP web browser with Chrome bookmark syncing for Android 4.4.

DSP Manager (for Android 4.4) - Installs the DSP Manager app along with the audio libs and configs important to running the service, allowing you to customize the audio equalizer of your device. At the moment, certain apps on Android 4.4 do not work with the modular DSP service.

Chainfire's SuperSU Root Control App and ROOT Flashable ZIP (Works with 4.3 & 4.4)
Download

Edited by ginganinja, 22 June 2014 - 06:18 AM.

• 4 Likes

baldwinguy77

baldwinguy77

Shiny ROM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:18 PM #3

Shiny ROM stamp of approval!  :grin:

I know this ROM may seem "unnecessary" for grouper at the moment, at least in comparison to toro, but there are big plans for expansion. Mods and custom features are coming soon, without losing the totally stock feel, as that is very important to us. More details on that will be coming soon! (Also should note that some custom stuff does exist out of the box, like preinstalled Google apps and the Google Experience Launcher.)

Also, this ROM has built its reputation on long-term support and heavy focus on community and user support, as showcased by the inaugural toro thread. We strongly plan on continuing this trend with Shiny ROM for grouper, and hope that the grouper users will help us in building up a strong, interactive community! This ROM will be supported very far into the future, beyond the end-of-life that Google will hand down to grouper.

If you choose to try out Shiny ROM, feel free to share your thoughts, suggestions, questions and problems within the thread! We will always be more than happy to help! :) Thanks in advance for the support and welcomeness that I'm sure the grouper community will give to us!

Edited by baldwinguy77, 21 December 2013 - 09:59 PM.

• 7 Likes

gpzbc

gpzbc

• 58 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:32 AM #4

Awesome! I was just looking for a Kit Kat rom for my N7. Thank you!
  • 2 Likes

gpzbc

gpzbc

• 58 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:42 PM #5

I got it installed on my N7 and it is running smooth and perfect, just like you would expect from Shiny. UPDATE: Still running rock solid with zero issues.

Edited by gpzbc, 23 December 2013 - 11:14 AM.

• 2 Likes

Recently_Rooted

Recently_Rooted

Android Lover

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:05 PM #6

Can't wait!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using RootzWiki mobile app

• 2 Likes

Recently_Rooted

Recently_Rooted

Android Lover

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:22 AM #7

Running great! Thanks so much!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki mobile app

• 2 Likes

AuroEdge

AuroEdge

Android Babies

• 311 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:58 AM #8

Is ART an option in developer settings (unlike stock)? Is the text color changed to black in the main posts? My background is dark and default reader text is white so I figured the text color in the post was set dark
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image

baldwinguy77

baldwinguy77

Shiny ROM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:13 AM #9

Is ART an option in developer settings (unlike stock)? Is the text color changed to black in the main posts? My background is dark and default reader text is white so I figured the text color in the post was set dark

If you enable developer settings, you can switch between the dalvik and Android (ART) runtimes as usual; this is stock behavior in Android as of 4.4. I'm not sure what you mean about text color though. Do you mean on RootzWiki? All of the formatting is just the default for new posts.

• 0 Likes

gpzbc

gpzbc

• 58 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:13 PM #10

I am curious as to whether or not grouper Shiny updates will parallel toro Shiny updates. Or are we dealing with two totally different animals?
  • 0 Likes