Guide to root the Galaxy S4 on MJ7
I am not responsible if you brick your device. Do this at your own risk.
VROOT could be malicious and is explained very well HERE.
This method is for people who are on MJ7 ONLY and not rooted at all
VROOT HERE - Download and install to computer
Samsung Drivers HERE Download and install to computer
SuperSU to replace Chinese SuperUser HERE - Download to computer
Terminal Emulator (download and install this on your phone) HERE - Install this on your phone.
OK Lets get started. (There are a few differences between this and the video. The video may be easier.)
- Make sure you have the Samsung drivers installed.
- Download VROOT install it on your computer (close it now if you have it opened)
- If you do not have developer options enabled enable them now by clicking menu>settings>more>about phone, then navigate down to build number and keep clicking it until it says you are now a developer. Click back then go to Developer Options. Go down and make sure USB Debugging is checked.
- Plug in your phone and let it sit for a bit right now while we work on other things
- On your computer extract the files of Replace_VRoot_With_SuperSU (the third file you downloaded)
- Open the file. There is a file called "mrw" copy this file. Now navigate to your phone on your computer by clicking Start>Computer>Portable Device. Click phone and paste mrw to the phone. Don't put it in any files.
- Now open Vroot. Wait for it to show your phone connected. If it doesn't after a few minutes disconnect the phone and wait a few. Then reconnect it. There is a pop up on the phone. Allow it to connect.
- Click Root on Vroot (the green button). Your phone should reboot. Wait a bit then unplug the phone
- Open terminal emulator and type
- su then hit enter
- sh /sdcard/mrw/root.sh then hit enter. Your phone will reboot.
10. Now open SuperSU and update scripts. Reboot. Done.
I would uninstall the knox security stuff. I used titanium backup to uninstall the files. I found out it is easiest to find them all by searching knox in Titanium Back Up. The files are:
- Knox 1.0
- Knox 3.0
- Knox Notification Manager
- Knox Store
- Now search security and uninstall Security Policy Update
- Security Storage
- KLMS Agent
Thanks to Foo we have a pretty cool video which makes this a little easier.
If something messes up on your phone you can always odin back to stock.
There are two ways you can do this.
Edited by zmedhaug, 01 December 2013 - 03:45 AM.