Android OS Forum banner

[Root] RockMyMoto (Yes, even the first OTA)

39K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  PalmerCurling 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This will void your warranty, like all root exploits. Use this at your own risk. Do not take OTAs on rooted devices unless you know what you are doing, as it may cause a bootloop or a soft brick.

RockMyMoto is designed for MotoXs that have recieved the Camera update, patching PwnMyMoto. If you are unsure of your firmware, try PwnMyMoto first.

First step is to install Cydia Impactor, by Saurik. http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ This is required. You will also need adb installed and working, and be comfortable with the command line. Your phone must be on the same network as your PC.

Figure out the ip address of your phone:

adb shell getprop dhcp.wlan0.ipaddress
unzip RockMyMoto-{version}.zip and push the exploit and su to /sdcard/:

adb push su /sdcard/
adb push RockMyMoto.jar /sdcard/

Run Impactor and select "# start telnetd as system on port 2222", then hit start.

Once the process is complete, run telnet:

telnet {your phone's ipaddress} 2222
Run the exploit through telnet

dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/RockMyMoto.jar RockMyMoto
The exploit will tell you to use adb to reboot:

adb reboot
Run the exploit through telnet for the second time, it will reboot on it's own:

Run the exploit through telnet for the third time, it will not reboot:

Wait 0-60 seconds, for su to install, then install SuperSu from the market.

Enjoy!

Known issues:

If you have AP isolation mode enabled in your AP (aka WiFi router) you won't be able to connect to your phone via telnet, disable isolation.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Hi all. I'm trying to run the above exploit for root access and everything seems to work fine until I run the command below:

Then I get the following output:

Dalvik VM unable to locate class 'RockMyMoto'
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: RockMyMoto
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Didn't find class "RockMyMoto" on p
ath: /sdcard/RockMyMoto.jar
at dalvik.system.BaseDexClassLoader.findClass(BaseDexClassLoader.java:65
)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:501)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:461)
... 1 more
~ $
I've watched the video and read the instuctions multiple times but I can't figure out where I've gone wrong. I'm hoping that one of you will be able to help me out with this. Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

#7 ·
Hi all. I'm trying to run the above exploit for root access and everything seems to work fine until I run the command below:

Then I get the following output:

I've watched the video and read the instuctions multiple times but I can't figure out where I've gone wrong. I'm hoping that one of you will be able to help me out with this. Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.
There's a typo in the instructions:

Change this commande

adb push RockMyMoto.zip /sdcard/

To This

Note the difference in the RockMyMoto extension. You need to push the jar file from the extracted zip not push the zip itself.

Enjoy.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is there a way to root without using the telnet? I would turn off AP isolation, but the router is my roommate's and she doesn't know the login info (not the same as the default log in on the bottom of the router).

GG on my part. :(
Buy or borrow cheap used router (like an old Linksys wrt one)

Power it on (does not have to be connected to the internet) and make sure it's on a different subnet than the real router you use so it doesn't interfere (i.e. switch it to 192.168.2.1 if your normal router is on 192.168.1.0/8)

Connect your phone to it

Connect your pc to it

Use telnet as stated in the OP

Either that or reset your current router back to factory defaults and regain the login password.

#11 ·
Buy or borrow cheap used router (like an old Linksys wrt3g one)

Power it on (does not have to be connected to the internet) and make sure it's on a different subnet than the real router you use so it doesn't interfere (i.e. switch it to 192.168.2.1 if your normal router is on 192.168.1.0/8)

Connect your phone to it

Connect your pc to it

Use telnet as stated in the OP

Either that or reset your current router back to factory defaults and regain the login password.
Thanks!

#13 ·
How should I go about using this root method? I am still on the old software (pre-OTA), rooted with SS.

I think my steps should be this:

1. Defrost all frozen bloat via TiBu

2. Disable all visual mods I made via Xposed

3. Revert to stock recovery (Do I flash the stock.img through fastboot? If so what is the command)

4. Take the OTA

5. Root using this method

6. Re-install SS.

7. Backup and mod

Any advise would help. I have been flashing since OG droid days so I am relatively familiar with how all of this stuff works.

#14 ·
There's a typo in the instructions:

Change this commande

adb push RockMyMoto.zip /sdcard/

To This

Note the difference in the RockMyMoto extension. You need to push the jar file from the extracted zip not push the zip itself.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I did take the typo into account on my original attempt and still got the same error message.

#15 ·
A couple questions:

Is there any reason this wouldn't also work on the Droid Ultra/Maxx?

Also, is there a benefit if already rooted with PwnMyMoto to go through the process to keep root to upgrade to the latest patch and stick with PwnMyMoto, or just patch and run this?

Thanks

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just wanted to let everyone know that I figured out what my issue was. When I originally attempted to root my device I enabled USB debugging but didn't disconnect then reconnect my device. Today I tried again and after enabling USB debugging I disconnected and re connected (forgot to enable it before I connected my Moto X and everything went smoothly. I'm now rooted and all's right with the world!

Thanks, jcase, for the guide and RockMyMoto exploit and thanks to those who attempted to help me. :)

#20 ·
pushing my Maxx update, might give this a try and see if it works

#21 ·
Just an FYI - This works for Droid Maxx/Ultra

#23 ·
#24 ·
#25 ·
Big thanks to jcase and everyone in this thread who helped me root my Droid Maxx following the OTA! After being rooted using pwnmymoto (thanks again jcase!), I reverted back to stock using RSDLite, took the OTA, and re-rooted using RockMyMoto.

All was well at that point. I installed SuperSu, Titanium Backup, and proceeded restored Missing Apps and system settings. This last part seems to have been a mistake -- though it never gave me a problem when flashing Roms on my GNex, and here I wasn't even changing devices.

In any case, I rebooted after doing that restore, and I have been stuck looking at the Droid Eye in an endless bootloop. I tried using RSDLite to flash back to stock, but since that's a OS version downgrade, it failed. I have rebooted into AP Fastboot mode and tried all of the options in that menu, but all lead me back to this same bootloop.

Any other suggestions would be truly appreciated!

#26 ·
How should I go about using this root method? I am still on the old software (pre-OTA), rooted with SS.

I think my steps should be this:

1. Defrost all frozen bloat via TiBu

2. Disable all visual mods I made via Xposed

3. Revert to stock recovery (Do I flash the stock.img through fastboot? If so what is the command)

4. Take the OTA

5. Root using this method

6. Re-install SS.

7. Backup and mod

Any advise would help. I have been flashing since OG droid days so I am relatively familiar with how all of this stuff works.
Were you ever able to revert to the stock recovery after having had PwnMyMoto installed? Or is this necessary if you don't have SS installed PreOTA?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.