2 votes

Rooting Mesmerize 2.3.4 -Or- 2.3.5

• Please log in to reply

OP Twisty79

Twisty79

Android Lover

• 124 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:21 AM #1

-*2.3.5 Root Instructions (US Cellular Mesmerize stock running Gingerbread 2.3.4 -or- 2.3.5) *-

Disclaimer: I am no way responsible for any damages resulting in a bricked phone!!!! Rooting you phone does Void your warranty. There are ways to flash back to stock ROMS basically making the Root non-existent (described below in the Special Note Section).

My specs: US Cellular Mesmerize Gingerbread 2.3.4 rooted running Awesome Sauce 10.5 with KGB glitch kernel For Radio EH09 ~Link~ { http://i.minus.com/j6FEwHQeev2PB.zip}

Before you start, you will need the files for your computer's OS if you have never transfered files between your phone and computer.

1. go download Odin here ( http://i.minus.com/jbpT0oUyJGi708.rar ). You will install this on your desktop, there is no need to have it on your phone.

2. Download "Clockwork Recovery Mod" to your desktop. ( http://i.minus.com/jGQgob6lxtnGS.tar )

3. Download the "Flashable_Root_Package.zip" to your phone ( http://i.minus.com/jEqFav7tQF4Jf.zip ). You will need a file manager (I use File Manager from the Android Market) ~Link~{ https://play.google....=com.rhmsoft.fm }

4. using the file explorer find the "Flashable_Root_Package.zip" You will need to rename it to "UPDATE" (leave the .zip at the end). After renaming it you will need to move it to the "/sdcard/" directory if it is not already there.

-The point of no return-

5. On your phone goto Settings/Applications/Development and check USB Debugging. Open Odin on your desktop, pull the battery from your phone, plug the Samsung USB cable from your desktop to your phone. On your phone hold the volume down button until a Yellow Triangle appears displaying "Downloading"

In Odin you should now see an "ID:COM" box light up yellow with numbers inside.

!!!-note-!!! In Odin Do Not Click Any Boxes you are not specifically asked to. Bad things happen!

6. You will see a button labled "PDA" select the "Clockwork Recovery" file from the desktop that you downloaded earlier. Check the box beside PDA and hit the start button. Odin will do its thing and you will see "Reset" in the upper righthand corner when it is finished (it will take a while and your screen will power down, don't panic. Replace the battery and remove the USB cord, the phone should now power up normally.

7. Once your phone finishes booting, power it down again. In the powered down state hold the middle of the volume rocker down (you will feel the rocker has three settings). With the rocker down in the middle hit the power button. You will see the Samsung logo let off the power button and it will take you into Clockwork Recover mode (release the volume button). If you dont get into Clockwork power down & try again.

*!!!special note!!!* Now is a great time to make a Clock Work "Back-up" of your stock Rom. From CWM find the Back Up & Restore option and select it. You will now be at a second menu, select "Back up" and let it do its thing (will take a few minutes.)

(Go back to the main CWM menu & proceed if you completed the above Back up.)

8. from the menu you will see an option to "Install UPDATE.zip from sdcard", using the volume button scroll down and hit the soft key back arrow. It will take you to a second screen showing a list of NO's and one option for yes. scroll down and select Yes.

Clockwork will do its thing and the phone will reboot (slightly longer than usual). You are now Rooted!

9. Word of advice be careful which root apps you install. If you don't know what the app does, do some research (which if you are reading this you are obviously doing now). Using a kernel program I soft bricked my phone. My phone is obviously fixed now but now without much worry and work getting it back to square one.

I hope this helps (this also works with version 2.3.4). I did not discover this method, I simply put all the files and rewrote the instructions in one place.

«Special thanks to JPbreakfield for pointing me in the right direction»

Edit: added the stock ROM Backup option & fixed download links.

Edited by Twisty79, 09 May 2012 - 02:25 PM.

• 6 Likes
Define Insanity - Doing the same thing over answer over expecting different results !!!

tylerw515

tylerw515

newbie dev

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:25 AM #2

first! nice guide even though i already know how to do this ..
  • 0 Likes
if i helped you or you like what i do please +1 me

mezster

mezster

Android Aficionado

• 119 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:25 PM #3

first! nice guide even though i already know how to do this ..

I am not trying to be mean, but could you please keep that "first" crap off this site, it does nothing to help further any discussion relating to the topic of this thread. As for the rest of your post: pressing the thanks button would have sufficed. And no, I am not a moderator, I am simply trying to appeal to your more sensible side.
  • 1 Likes

jpaulwaite

jpaulwaite

Haf yu seen mah baseball?

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:09 PM #4

I am not trying to be mean, but could you please keep that "first" crap off this site, it does nothing to help further any discussion relating to the topic of this thread. As for the rest of your post: pressing the thanks button would have sufficed. And no, I am not a moderator, I am simply trying to appeal to your more sensible side.

That being said, let the mods do their jobs. They do a good job here. And in true standing with your post, nor will we tolerate derisive feedback on this site. So, play nice, mmkay?

On a more appropriate note, thanks for this Twisty. We appreciate you getting this out to people. :-0)

Edited by jpaulwaite, 26 November 2011 - 01:12 PM.

• 2 Likes

Team Heinz
Puttin' Awesome Sauce on it.

mezster

mezster

Android Aficionado

• 119 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:24 PM #5

That being said, let the mods do their jobs. They do a good job here. And in true standing with your post, nor will we tolerate derisive feedback on this site. So, play nice, mmkay?

On a more appropriate note, thanks for this Twisty. We appreciate you getting this out to people. :-0)

If you took that as derisive I should tell you that was not my intention. I just do not want to see this site cluttered with useless posts (like this one) that helped to ruin another dev site (among other reasons of course).
  • 0 Likes

OP Twisty79

Twisty79

Android Lover

• 124 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 02:25 AM #6

I want to send a special thanks to "Jbreakfield" for his initial help pointing me in the right direction (which I forgot to include in the original post).
  • 1 Likes
Define Insanity - Doing the same thing over answer over expecting different results !!!

snooky012001

snooky012001

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:06 PM #7

were can i download the Flashable_Root_Package.zip this site dont work to download it

• 0 Likes

OP Twisty79

Twisty79

Android Lover

• 124 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:06 PM #8

I sent you a pm about two days ago.
  • 0 Likes

sslinnger

sslinnger

• 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:41 PM #9

hey twisty i couldn't get the flashable_root_package.zip to work either, i got it to DL to my phone but once i go to try and unzip it says either (bad) or no such file... little if you don't care? thanks in advance!

or is there an alternative file to download?

Edited by sslinnger, 07 December 2011 - 06:48 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP Twisty79

Twisty79

Android Lover

• 124 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:10 PM #10

The problem before was it was hosted by an unknown host and they pulled the site. I had it backed up on my phone and posted it to the dropbox site.

Are you getting this error in Clockwork Recovery Mod? If so you can pm me your email and Ill send you the file directly.
  • 0 Likes