ATTENTION: OTAs for 4.4 are being pushed. Safestrap DOES NOT WORK yet with 4.4 (or SElinux enforcing). There may not be a way to get it working again. So please be patient while I do some research.
*** DISCLAIMER ***
I work on projects that may brick your device. Don't sue me, hate me or try and kill my dog if that happens. I will feel bad, the community will feel bad, and hopefully we'll find a way to get you going again. But, the very nature of my projects involves a certain amount of risk taken by YOU. And by using the projects that I work on, you've accepted that fact.
CURRENTLY THERE IS A KNOWN ISSUE WHERE IF YOU HAVE ENCRYPTION ENABLED AND INSTALL SS IT BOOTLOOPS. IF YOU FIT THIS DESCRIPTION PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM SAFESTRAP FOR NOW.
CURRENT PROJECT STATUS:
KNOWN ISSUES (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY):
- For locked users: there is a process that happens when you click "Reboot Recovery" from the APK or use the "Recovery" button during the splash screen. Safestrap checks the device for write_protect and if it's enabled will automatically reboot the device to recovery (write_protect disabled) mode. You will see this as a screen with ORANGE text reading: "PLEASE WAIT THE DEVICE IS REBOOTING TO RECOVERY". Followed by the bootloader screen again. You may also see the splashscreen for Safestrap. If you see the splashscreen hit "Recovery" again. It's supposed to automatically take you to into recovery, but it doesn't work correctly yet.
WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?
Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 22.214.171.124 (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
- Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (2-3 depending on your internal space size) for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for 3 different sizes of /data partitions: 1GB, 2GB and 3GB. NOTE: The bigger you make the /data partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
- You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
- Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore.
For more information you can read up here:
HOW DO I INSTALL SAFESTRAP?
- Be Rooted (Look for PWNMYMOTO/RockMyMoto by JCase):
- Reboot into the Write-Protect Off (recovery) Android OS
- Make sure in "Settings" -> "Security" you have "Unknown Sources" checked
- Download the Safestrap APK to your device
- Find the APK using a Filemanager tool and open it on your device, then click "Install".
- (If updating from an existing Safestrap you might be warned that this will over-write the existing installation. Click the "Yes" equivalent to this message.)
- Once installed, open up the Safestrap application as you would any other app.
- Agree to the disclaimer that you won't try to sue me and hunt me down with a rifle if you manage to break your phone..
- Then use the "Install Recovery" button. You should see the current version down in the lower left corner of the window. And the "Status:" should say "Installed" when you're done.
- From there you can reboot and you *should* see a new splash screen during the boot up. While this is showing you can enter Safestrap Recovery using the [ menu ] button.
- That's it for the installation! Read below for a brief overview of Safestrap Recovery v3.x
HOW DO I ENTER RECOVERY?
- During each reboot a splashscreen will be displayed showing whether the device is running a rom-slot or on the "Stock ROM". Press "RECOVERY" to enter Safestrap Recovery or "CONTINUE" booting.
- If you're in a ROM, you can install the Safestrap APK and use the "Reboot Recovery" button.
WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW THAT I HAVE CUSTOM RECOVERY?
- Make a backup while on the STOCK rom slot
- Create a new rom-slot (and leave it active)
- Restore your backup to the new rom-slot
- Flash, tweak, mod, theme till your hearts content
CHOOSE YOUR SAFESTRAP FILE BY MODEL / CARRIER BELOW:
LATEST FILE: Safestrap-XT####-3.65.apk (updated 11/13/2013)
ATTENTION: IF UPGRADING FROM v3.62 or EARLIER USE "REMOVE RECOVERY" IN THE APK BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW VERSION. I CHANGED THE HIJACK IN v3.63 -- DIFFERENT FILES ARE BEING CHANGED NOW.
[XT1060] Verizon Wireless (3.63a):
Mirror 1: http://goo.im/devs/H...0-vzw/safestrap
Mirror 2: http://downloads.cra...0-vzw/safestrap
Mirror 1: http://goo.im/devs/H...8-att/safestrap
Mirror 2: http://downloads.cra...8-att/safestrap
[XT1053] TMo and other variants:
Mirror 1: http://goo.im/devs/H...-tmno/safestrap
Mirror 2: http://downloads.cra...3-tmo/safestrap
As of version 3.6x, Safestrap Recovery is now based on TWRP 2.6.3.x. For more on TWRP you can visit their website: http://www.teamw.in/ Feel free to donate to them.
WARNING: Safestrap is heavily modified to be "Safe" for your device. Do not download TWRP from their website and expect it to work the same way. Also TWRP does not support Safestrap, tho some issues that may come up will be TWRP dependant, please try and contact myself or look on the forums for your device for answers before hunting down TWRP people. They won't be able to help w/ Safestrap specific questions.
For the purposes of direct user testing I've established a channel on freenode.net IRC: #safestrap
I'm in the channel mostly all the time, but may not be active for discussion. Etiquette note: Not everyone in the channel will have the same device. Be kind and courteous.
Hashcode (Safestrap), DeesTroy & TeamWin for such an awesome recovery in TWRP.
Edited by Hashcode, 19 November 2013 - 11:11 AM.