1 votes

[How-To] Prepare For The Gb Ota

• Please log in to reply

7humbs

7humbs

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:41 AM #31

...There are a number of options for rooted and tweaked builds of the OTA update already, but if you want a fully stock phone that's simply rooted and nothing else, while flashing as little as possible, you just need to Odin cwm, boot directly into recovery, and flash the generic su binary (.zip package found at http://androidsu.com/superuser/). Then simply reboot. The stock kernel will overwrite CWM with the stock recovery, so it will appear fully stock even to an advanced rep who may check the recovery (which is HIGHLY unlikely), but you will have the su binary. Then just get Superuser (and also Busybox Installer) from the Market and you're good to go..

For those of you who would like to follow this rooting method, one tip I can give is that the su zip will not stick if you do not manually mount /system in recovery first. That gave me some headache after flashing su about 4 times before realizing my mistake. Also, the link above also has the full Superuser package as a zip, with the su binary and the Superuser apk in one. Might be a bit faster to kill two birds with one stone with the full zip. Hope this helps.
  • 0 Likes

Cruiserdude

Cruiserdude

Android Lover

• 255 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:46 AM #32

For those of you who would like to follow this rooting method, one tip I can give is that the su zip will not stick if you do not manually mount /system in recovery first. That gave me some headache after flashing su about 4 times before realizing my mistake. Also, the link above also has the full Superuser package as a zip, with the su binary and the Superuser apk in one. Might be a bit faster to kill two birds with one stone with the full zip. Hope this helps.

Good stuff, mounting /system is vital. The package that includes the Superuser app is definitely easier, the only reason I recommend just using the binary is that stock EP4D shows 0 bytes left on the /system partition so trying to push the Superuser apk on there may not work. Best to just d/l from the market, and you can always push it to the /system partition after debloating if you want. But hey if it worked for you then cool, takes a step out of the process.
  • 0 Likes

fonefool

fonefool

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:12 PM #33

but if you want a fully stock phone that's simply rooted and nothing else, while flashing as little as possible, you just need to Odin cwm, boot directly into recovery, and flash the generic su binary (.zip package found at http://androidsu.com/superuser/). Then simply reboot.

I just got the OTA update yesterday, and then had to do a factory reset (again) because the phone would no longer boot. So I came here to learn how to root this beast and get rid of the bloatware at least, since I am going to have to re-install everything anyway. So bear with me I am a total noob. I would like to do what Cruiserdude is saying, but although I have read the guide and everything else that looked halfway relevant to this project, I simply don't understand what it means to 'Odin cwm'. The description of CWM in the guide only talks about the process of getting to the screen where you can choose to update from your SD card. How does Odin come into play? How do I get the su binary file onto my SD card? With Odin? Sorry for really basic questions, but I really did read everything and I am really new at this and don't want to brick my phone doing something stupid.
  • 0 Likes

zhakrin

zhakrin

Android Beginner

• 80 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:16 AM #34

I just got the OTA update yesterday, and then had to do a factory reset (again) because the phone would no longer boot. So I came here to learn how to root this beast and get rid of the bloatware at least, since I am going to have to re-install everything anyway. So bear with me I am a total noob. I would like to do what Cruiserdude is saying, but although I have read the guide and everything else that looked halfway relevant to this project, I simply don't understand what it means to 'Odin cwm'. The description of CWM in the guide only talks about the process of getting to the screen where you can choose to update from your SD card. How does Odin come into play? How do I get the su binary file onto my SD card? With Odin? Sorry for really basic questions, but I really did read everything and I am really new at this and don't want to brick my phone doing something stupid.

This website helped me out a lot. It also seemed to put it in terms I understood a bit better.

http://www.toms-world.org/android/
  • 1 Likes

DirgeExtinction

DirgeExtinction

Android Apprentice

• 285 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:09 AM #35

Hm, weird. I've been trying to ODIN the EE4 factory file and I keep getting a WRITE failed.

This is what ODIN says:

<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> CI510_VZW_EE4_ALL_ONE-LTE-CP_REV03_user_CL1014954.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/029> Odin v.3 engine (ID:29)..
<ID:0/029> File analysis..
<ID:0/029> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/029> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

-NEVERMIND- I used another USB cable and it worked.

Edited by DirgeExtinction, 26 December 2011 - 04:33 PM.

• 0 Likes

Chief_Airborne

Chief_Airborne

Android Lover

• 101 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:22 AM #36

Hey, guys...new here to the forum. It's been a while since I've done this...I know that I'm rooted and I did the VooDoo lag modification. My "about phone" screen reads the following:

Baseband version:
i510.06 V.EE4
ScH-I510.EE1

Kernal version:
se.infra@SEI-28 #1

Build Number:
SCH-I510.EE4

I think I modded my kernal too...can't remember. So, my phone is asking me to update it...I tried it a couple of times and it just freezes up. I pulled the battery and everything is fine. My understand is that I can't update it because I'm rooted. So, how do I get my phone back to a state I can update it?

Thank you for your help!
Chief
  • 0 Likes

Chief_Airborne

Chief_Airborne

Android Lover

• 101 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:25 AM #37

Anybody?
  • 0 Likes

Chief_Airborne

Chief_Airborne

Android Lover

• 101 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:25 PM #38

So, what is it....my breath? Because I'm the new guy? Is this thread closed?

Com'on, guys!! Help me out, please.
  • 0 Likes

chiahead52

chiahead52

Android Apprentice

• 79 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:33 PM #39

I think people are not responding because you are asking a question that the thread you posted in was created for...IE read and follow the first post and you should be good
  • 1 Likes

Chief_Airborne

Chief_Airborne

Android Lover

• 101 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:55 PM #40

Chia,
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. So, restoring the factory EE4 will unroot my phone, correct? Just want make sure...

Thanks,
Chief
  • 0 Likes