First method will hack the verizon tether. (I've had issues with this but it may work for you)
1. Download SQLite Editor from market. (Be advised it is a paid app)
2. Open SQLlite Editor.
3. Access Settings Srotage (com.motorola.android.providers.settings) Will have wrench and hammer icon
4. Open Settings.db
5. open settings
6. scroll to item 150 (entitlement_check) and long press the 1
7. tap edit field change value from 1 to 0
8. save settings and restart phone
9. you should now be able to use the tethering feature verizon loaded on phone
*Note* Some people have had problems with it not loading pages properly using this method. If this is the case use method 2
1. Go to this link using your phone and download the .apk file
http://android-wifi-...v3_1-pre104.apk (thanks to tekahuna for the updated file tested and working fine)
2. Install .apk (make sure you allow unknown sources in settings/applications)
3. Open wifi tether and go to settings
- Change device profile - motorola targa
- Check Enable Wifi Encryption
- Change password if desired
- Change channel to channel 06 (you can try other channels but this seems to yield the best results)
4. Close and reopen wifi tether (may need to end process in task manager)
That should work around any problems you are experiencing using the wifi tether. I do not take credit for these methods I just thought it would be beneficial to consolidate the work arounds for anyone experiencing the same problems that I was.
Edited by jtclarke88, 23 November 2011 - 06:38 AM.