First, it is reported that the Ice Cream Sandwich update will begin on Thursday for the Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Touch. It's being widely reported that this will be an OTA update. No word yet if there will be a local download from the Sprint forums. But as a bonus, developers get an additional second treat. Earlier on Wednesday, source code was released for the Epic Touch 4G along with AT&T's Galaxy Skyrocket. This isn't flashable on its own, but developers will be able to get their hands dirty with the fresh kernel updates. I know this is more relevant to our Rootzwiki readers and hopefully lots of good can come out of these releases.
My question is this. Will Sprint deliver on the update tomorrow for the Epic Touch 4G? We shall see by press time, but I'm fairly positive this update will delay. For those of you still using this device and are on stock, I hope I'm wrong. Feel free to share your thoughts of frustrations in the comments or your elation for the kernel release.
Here is the changelog, if you will, from Sprint. Do keep in mind there is no NFC on this device so the list is not exactly accurate.
- A refined, evolved user interface that is simple, beautiful and useful
- Face Unlock: use state-of-the-art facial recognition technology to unlock your phone with a smile
- Redesigned camera which introduces panorama mode, effects like silly faces and background replacement, and a powerful photo editor
- Android Beam™: quickly share web pages, apps, contacts and YouTube™ videos with your friends by simply tapping two Near Field Communication (NFC)-enabled phones together
- Web browser now lets you sync Google Chrome™ bookmarks, request full desktop versions of sites, see your open tabs in a new layout and even store web pages for offline reading
- People: browse friends, family and coworkers, see their photos in high-resolution and check their latest status updates from Google+
- Improved keyboard with incredibly accurate typing, an inline spell checker and improved copy and paste support
- New Calendar app that lets you add events quickly, sync with Google Calendar™ or Microsoft Exchange and even pinch to adjust your calendar display
- Redesigned Gmail™ app that now lets you swipe between conversations to catch up quickly, and search for emails even without a data connection
- Google+ integration that lets you hangout and video chat with up to 10 friends using your front-facing camera